- allows the user to remove unused temporary files from Internet browsers and other supported applications along with browsing history, cookies, recycle bin, and AutoComplete form history;
- allows for the cleaning of the recycle bin, memory dumps, file fragments, log files, system caches, application data, and various other data;
- includes a Registry Cleaner to locate and correct problems in the Windows Registry such as missing shared DLLs, unused file extensions and application paths;
- supports the cleaning of temporary and unneeded files from certain programs, including Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, Safari, Google Chrome, Foxit Reader, Microsoft Office (97, XP, 2003, 2007), Nero Burning ROM, Java, Windows Live Messenger, ZoneAlarm, Flash Player, QuickTime, VirtualDub, Windows Media Player, Paint.NET, 7-Zip, Avira AntiVir, Spybot – Search & Destroy, Windows Registry Editor, eMule, KaZaA, Google Toolbar, Netscape, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip;
- assists in the uninstallation process by allowing users to uninstall programs from CCleaner itself;
- allows the alteration of start-up programs, similar to the Microsoft Windows MSConfig Utility. Users can disable several start-up programs to free up processor speed at start-up;
- allows users to delete System Restore Points – as of version 2.13.8.
Rebuilt in C++, CCleaner 2.0 is portable and compatible with all 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 as well as being installed onto a USB flash drive, to ensure portability.
It is not recommended to delete files from the Windows Prefetch folder by ticking the box "Old Prefetch data" in the Advanced section. Deleting prefetch files reduces performance; applications and Windows will load slower. Windows automatically cleans unused prefetch files.