January 28, 2010
Article that explores pre-deployment considerations, as well as options and recommendations for user data and settings migration when moving from Windows XP to Windows 7. This is for enterprise-scale desktop deployments, migrating hundreds or thousands of computers.
Deploying Windows 7 from A to Z …
For guidance for deploying Windows 7 on clients, the tools to use – such as WAIK, MDT 2010 and WDS, and the scenarios for when to use them check Windows 7 deployment scenarios and tools…
January 28, 2010
Microsoft Network Monitor
Microsoft Network Monitor is a network protocol analyzer that lets you capture, view, and analyze network traffic. Version 3.3 of Network Monitor is available in 32- and 64-bit versions. Download it now.
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
The Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) is an easy-to-use tool designed to help administrators of small and medium-sized businesses ensure that their Windows-based computers are secure. You can use MBSA to determine the security state of your computers in accordance with Microsoft security recommendations. MBSA also offers specific remedia¬tion guidance for security problems it detects, such as misconfigurations and missing security updates.
At the time of writing this, the current version was MBSA 2.1. This version is available in 32- and 64-bit versions, but it does not install on Windows 7. A new version that supports Windows 7 is due to be released sometime in the future. You can download the current version and get information regarding the a version for Windows 7 at microsoft.com/mbsa/.
Microsoft IPsec Diagnostic Tool
The Microsoft IPsec Diagnostic Tool helps network administrators troubleshoot network-related failures, focusing primarily on Internet Protocol security (IPsec).The tool checks for common network problems on the host machine and, if it finds any problems, it suggests re¬pair commands. The tool also collects IPsec policy information on the system and parses the IPsec logs to try to determine why the failure might have happened. The tool also provides trace collection for virtual private network (VPN) connections, the Network Ac¬cess Protection (NAP) client, Windows Firewall, Group Policy updates, and wireless and system events. The diagnostic report generated by the tool is derived from the system logs collected by the tool during its analysis phase. Download it now.
Windows Sysinternals Suite
The Windows Sysinternals Suite is a set of advanced tools for troubleshooting issues with Windows-based computers. These tools were originally developed by Winternals Software LP, which Microsoft acquired in 2006. Some of the useful and popular tools included in this suite are:
- Autoruns This tool lets you see what programs are configured to start up automati¬cally when your system boots. It also displays the full list of registry and file locations where applications can configure autostart settings.
- BgInfo This tool automatically generates desktop backgrounds that include important information about the system, including IP addresses, computer name, network adapt¬ers, and more.
- Process Explorer This tool lets you find out what files, registry keys, and other objects that your processes have open, which dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) they have loaded, and who owns each process.
- Process Monitor This tool lets you monitor the file system, registry, process, thread, and DLL activity on your computer in real time.
- PsTools This set of command-line tools can be used for listing the processes running on local or remote computers, running processes remotely, rebooting computers, dumping event logs, and performing other tasks.
- RootkitRevealer This tool lets you scan your system for rootkit-based malware.
- ShellRunas This tool allows you to launch programs as a different user using a shell context-menu entry.
- TCPView This tool lets you view active sockets on the computer in real time.
Download the entire Sysinternals Suite now…
From Windows 7 Tips…
January 28, 2010
Get MAC Address (Getmac.exe) Discovers the Media Access Control (MAC) address and lists associated network protocols for all network cards in a computer, either locally or across a network.
Hostname (Hostname.exe) Displays the host name of the current computer.
IP Configuration Utility (Ipconfig.exe) Displays all current Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) network configuration values, and refreshes Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and DNS settings.
Name Server Lookup (Nslookup.exe) Displays information about Domain Name System records for specific IP addresses and/or host names so that you can troubleshoot DNS problems.
Net services commands (Net.exe) Performs a broad range of network tasks. Type net with no parameters to see a full list of available command-line options.
Netstat (Netstat.exe) Displays active TCP connections, ports on which the computer is listening, Ethernet statistics, the IP routing table, and IPv4/IPv6 statistics.
Network Command Shell (Netsh.exe) Displays or modifies the network configuration of a local or remote computer that is currently running. This command-line scripting utility has a huge number of options, which are fully detailed in Help.
PathPing (Pathping.exe) Combines the functions of Traceroute and Ping to identify problems at a router or network link.
TCP/IP NetBIOS Information (Nbtstat.exe) Displays statistics for the NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) protocol, NetBIOS name tables for both the local computer and remote computers, and the NetBIOS name cache.
TCP/IP Ping (Ping.exe) Verifies IP-level connectivity to another internet address by sending Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) packets and measuring response time in milliseconds.
TCP/IP Route (Route.exe) Displays and modifies entries in the local IP routing table.
TCP/IP Traceroute (Tracert.exe) Determines the path to an internet address, and lists the time required to reach each hop. It’s useful for troubleshooting connectivity problems on specific network segments.
Network Monitor (not available in Windows 7 but available as a free download) is a protocol analyzer that lets you capture network traffic, view it, and analyze it. You can get the free download from Microsoft.
January 27, 2010
Cisco icons are globally recognized and accepted as the de-facto standard in network icon topologies.
Requires CCO login to download …
January 4, 2010
Applies to all sites using Websense Web security software with Logon Agent and Active Directory user accounts. Versions likely to be affected are Websense Web security software versions 6.x and 7.x, used in conjunction with Windows XP, 2003, and 2008.
If you apply Microsoft update KB 971737, Websense Logon Agent is no longer able to identify users who have Active Directory accounts. As a result, Web filtering for these users does not occur.
If Microsoft update KB 971737 is not installed (or is removed), Logon Agent works as expected, and Active Directory users are filtered properly.
Microsoft update KB 971737 enhances the way Windows authentication works and makes changes to a library used by Websense software. This library is used by LogonApp.exe to authenticate itself with Logon Agent. The update enables extended protection for Windows authentication and turns on NTLM version 2. Support for NTLM version 2 is planned for support in a future version of Websense software.
Websense is researching the scope of the Microsoft changes for affected Websense versions and is considering options for our customers.
While Websense assesses the changes, one suggested workaround is to defer the installation of Microsoft update KB 971737 until Websense analysis is completed.
Another option is to install the Microsoft patch and then edit the Windows registry to disable extended protection for Windows authentication and revert to using NTLM version 1 (this would involves two different registry changes). Websense will confirm the specific changes soon.
Websense is researching the impact on each affected version of Websense Web security software. Customers will be alerted as soon as we have additional instructions for each version.
January 2, 2010
After reading a post about the Zi8 on CrunchGear I definitely want one of these.
Available from Amazon UK…
The slim and stylish KODAK Zi8 Pocket Video Camera is designed to meet these needs at the touch of a button — no lens cap, dials to turn or settings to adjust. The new camera’s range of advanced features includes:
• Full HD 1080p video capture wherever you go;
• Built-in electronic image stabilization for sharper videos and reduced blurring;
• Vivid 2.5″ color LCD;
• Flexible swing-out USB arm for fast uploading, sharing, and charging;
• 5 MP 16:9 widescreen HD still pictures;
• Easy upload to Facebook and YouTube;
• Compatible with PC and Mac operating systems;
• Record up to 10 hours of HD video* with the expandable SD/SDHC card slot that can hold up to 32 GB;
• Capture family and friends in their best light with smart face tracking technology;
• See more details and accurate colors in low light;
• External microphone jack;
• In-box HDMI cable;
• Record from a distance or playback on your TV conveniently with optional KODAK Pocket Video remote control;
• Grab attention and define your style with the ultra compact design, stunning looks, and a range of colors.
Uploading to Facebook and YouTube
The KODAK Zi8 Pocket Video Camera provides one-button upload to Facebook, the premiere social networking and sharing website. Content can also be quickly and easily uploaded to YouTube, the world’s most popular online video community. The built-in software on the camera allows seamless upload of your video and pictures from the same desktop interface used for video editing and movie creation.
A range of accessories are available for the KODAK Zi8 Pocket Video Camera, including:
• KODAK SDHC Memory Cards, available in 4, 8, and 16GB capacities customized for optimal video capture;
• KODAK Pocket Video Remote control;
• KODAK KLIC-7004 Lithium Ion batteries;
• KODAK Flexi-tripod;
• KODAK Adventure Mount for helmet, handlebars and more;
• KODAK cases, camera bags and neck straps.
Pricing and Availability
The KODAK Zi8 Pocket Video Camera is available in aqua, raspberry and black** and retail for GBP149.99.