Warning event is logged on DC Event Viewer:
Event ID: 53258
MS DTC could not correctly process a DC Promotion/Demotion event. MS DTC will continue to function and will use the existing security settings.
Error Specifics : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\uiname.cpp:xxxx, CmdLine: xxxxxxxxxx\msdtc.exe, Pid: xxxx
This issue occurs if Windows Server 2003 unsuccessfully tries to configure the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) service to use the default security settings. You experience this issue if the Network Service account is the account that the MS DTC service uses. Security settings for the MS DTC service are stored in the following registry subkey:
The Network Service account has insufficient permissions to modify the security settings in the registry subkey.
You can safely ignore the event ID 53258 warning message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section. To prevent the warning message from being logged in Event Viewer, update the security component. To update the security component, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Control Panel, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Component Services.
- Expand Component Services, expand Computers, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
- Click the MSDTC tab, and then click Security Configuration.
- Under Security Settings, note the settings, and then click to select the Network DTC Access check box.
- Click OK.
- Click Yes when you receive the following message:
MS DTC service will be stopped and restarted. All dependent services will be stopped. Please press yes to proceed.
- Click OK two times.
- Click Security Configuration, and then under Security Settings, specify the security settings that you had originally configured.
- Click OK.