Forgotten the Websense Manager password, cannot log on to Websense Manager, or need to change the Websense Manager password.
Invalid user name or password.
You have exceeded the maximum number of logon attempts.
Contact your system administrator to obtain access.
The password is encrypted and then stored in a configuration file. If you cannot access Websense Manager because you do not remember or do not know the password, then you can reset the password by editing the config.xml file (contains all your custom settings).
To reset the password, complete the following steps:
- Stop Websense Policy Server.
- Select Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Services.
- Right-click Websense Policy Server and then select Stop.
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Select View > Choose Details.
- In the Choose Details list, ensure both Name and Type are checked, and then click OK.
This ensures that you edit the config.xml file, not the config.xml.bak file.
- Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the \Program Files\Websense\bin directory and then locate the config.xml file.
- Copy the config.xml file to create a backup.
Save the copied version to another directory.
- With Notepad or any similar text editor, open the config.xml file in the \Program Files\Websense\bin directory.
- Use the Find function to search for the following string:
The search locates the line that requires editing. The entry is similar to the following:
Use the Find function to search for the following string:
Once located, delete the alphanumeric string within the closed and open caret symbols ( > and < ).
When modified, the string should look identical to the following example: